The Learning Center serves students with special needs who need more than 50% of their day in the learning center for their academic instruction. In addition to reading, writing, and math, students have a class called functional life skills. This class focuses on independent living skills, functional science and functional social studies. When appropriate, students in the learning center are mainstreamed into the general education classes with an education technician who assists the students as needed.
Our staff includes:
- Kathy Lupo: The Classroom Teacher
- Ellie Steward: Educational Technician I
- Donna McDaniel: Educational Technician I
- Mary Humphrey: Educational Technician I
- Ann Seliano: Educational Technician III
The Learning Center...
Provides some students with physical therapy. Some students in the learning center go to Alfond Boys and Girls Club every other Friday to work on their physical therapy skills in the therapy pool.
- Crystal Reed: Occupational Therapist
- Christal Siren: Physical Therapist
Provides some students with Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy as determined by the students' plans.
- Beth Emerson: Speech Pathologist
Provides some students in the learning center with speech and language services.
The Learning Center is a continuation of:
- Mary Titherington-Carey's Life Skills class at North Elementary which serves students in grades K-1.
- Eliza Jones' Life Skills class at Bloomfield Elementary which serves students in grades 1-3.
- Kathy Lupo's Learning Center at MCSS which serves students in grades 4-6.
- Kathy Philbrick-Gate's Learning Center at Skowhegan Area Middle School which serves students 7-9.
- Stephanie Toth's Life Skills class at Skowhegan Area High School which serves students in grades 10-12.